IRSA IDL Tools
Last Updated: 31 August 2013
- query_irsa_cat.pro - queries IRSA catalogs, returning an IDL structure
- read_ipac_table.pro - reads an IPAC Table file into an IDL structure
- read_ipac_var.pro - converts an internal variable to an IDL structure
- write_ipac_table.pro - writes an IDL structure to an IPAC Table file
IRSA provides a set of 4 IDL programs to assist users in retrieving and working with its catalogs and tables. The README contains installation instructions. The program query_irsa_cat.pro will run name or position searches on a specified catalog within a given radius. The catalog identifiers can be found in the "catname" column here. The default is the 2MASS Point Source Catalog. Programs are also provided to facilitate converting between IPAC Table format and IDL structures.
(1) Find WISE Allsky detections within 30 arcsec of L1228
IDL> info = query_irsa_cat('L1228', catalog='wise_allsky_4band_p3as_psd', radius=30 )
IDL> help, /struct, info
IDL> print, info.ra, info.dec
(2) Find the position of the faintest IRAS 60 micron source within 1 degree of the central position of the COSMOS survey (10:00:28.6 +02:12:21.0 in J2000).
IDL> info = query_irsa_cat([150.11916,2.2058333], catalog='irasfsc', radius=1, radunits='deg')
IDL> idx = where(info.fnu_60 eq min(info.fnu_60))
IDL> print, (info.ra)[idx], (info.dec)[idx]
(3) (A longer query) Plot a histogram of the J magnitudes of all 2MASS point sources stars within 10 arcminutes of the center of the globular cluster M13.
IDL> info = query_irsa_cat('m13',radius=10,radunits='arcmin')
If you encounter any problems please send a bug report to the IRSA Help Desk.
Copyright © 2013, California Institute of Technology
All rights reserved. Based on Government Sponsored Research NAS7-03001 and NNN12AA01C.
Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
- Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
- Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
- Neither the name of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.